February 10, 2006
Where do I begin. I am 37 yrs old and it was not until my 30's that I came to love and feel comfortable with my full vaginal lips. I have the saddest early memory of looking at myself with a mirror panicking that the insides of the vagina had fallen out and that I needed to see a doctor to get it fixed. I had no idea that women had protruding lips at the tender age of 14. My friends and I now joke about whether we are 'inny's' or 'outies' and I am proud to say out loud that although not volumptous in the breast department, I certainly have made up for it in the pussy department. Lucky for me my man is a pussy and bumb man and just LOVES my curves down there. I have passed on this website to another large labia friend.
Dear Sandee Bee,
I'm glad you're proud of your outie now, but for more than 15 years it was the source of your distress. Through education we can avoid this from happening to other girls.
Self-education as in looking up things on the internet is one way, but I believe that the real responsibility lays with schools and parents. A study by the organization Talking with Kids About Tough Issues showed that 35% of parents in America do not talk to their children about puberty! And from the other 65% that does, I wonder how many talk to their girls and boys about the normal variations in the shape and size of the sexual organs, in specific the labia?
People, if your daughter develops larger labia why not make sure she has no hang-ups about them? Assure her that they are not a deformity but just an anatomic variant! And if you don't know how to approach your kids about stuff like this, you can always send them to the excellent Sex-Ed site Scarleteen.com.